Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

I wanted to do some type of art display to remember 9/11.  I was in 8th grade when 9/11 happened, so I realized that very few of my elementary age students would know a lot about it, having been very young at the time or not even born yet!  However, I was determined to do it anyway. 
I thought a fun way to remember would be to honor America, and this idea also fits into my theme "Around the World and into Outer Space".
My 6th graders and I discussed what symbols are and then went further into the idea by discussing symbols that represent our country.  Students then created a sort of drawing collage of things or ideas that represent America.  I wanted the collages to be original and was impressed by some of the ideas and symbols that came up in discussion.  Overall I was very pleased!  The project took 3, 30 minute class periods and was one class longer than I expected so right after they finished on Friday, they went up in the hallway just in time for the anniversary of 9/11. 







No comments:

Post a Comment