Tuesday, October 18, 2011

1st Grade Has Gone Batty!

My 1st graders have been learning about bats in science and reading and I LOVE doing cross-curricular projects with them :)

The classroom teachers have done a few art projects within the regular classroom but I wanted to do something in my room as well.
Because it is close to Halloween as well, I thought of a bat mask.  I referenced my good old friend GOOGLE to find a mask template to help me get started.  What a wonderful thing, this thing called the Internet and GOOGLE...I don't know what I'd do without them!

I had my students trace, cut, and glue together their masks while I stapled on some string.  Once they had everything all together, we added google eyes(what 1st grader doesn't love google eyes?!)  and I got out my special fancy shimmery watercolor paints that show up quite well on black paper!  Oh what fun we had!!!
This was quite the task to accomplish in just 30 minutes, but somehow we did it!

A goal of mine since I began teaching last year was to take a TON of photos to document my trials and errors and to help digital-ize my memory for future references and to capture memories along the way.  I have done a lot of this through photos of final projects, but haven't done a lot with my actual students.  For me the photos help to capture a personal journey where I can cherish the memories I have created with my students. 





No comments:

Post a Comment