Monday, November 19, 2012

JH Shaded Portraits

I'm pretty sure I've written about this before, but I'm always pleased by the success that I want to share again!

My JH students were to choose a famous person they wanted to do a shaded drawing of using a grid.  For many of them, this was the first time for a grid and for serious shading.  They rose to the challenge and did a great job!

We focused on the contour lines and getting the shapes right by using a grid system.  I'm a fan of the grid, only because for a lot of my students it "clicks" and that is such a great thing to see.  They are proud of what they have done and see the success which is awesome.  I think that it is a great tool for them to know how to use.  We spent a good week preparing our photos, paper, and drawing the contour lines in the drawing.  We then spent another full week shading.  I demonstrate some tips and tricks for them and we discuss the differences in shading pencils.

I got some pretty great results:

Country Singer...I can't remember the name

Weird Al Yankovic


Taylor Swift

Michael Jordan

One of my JH boys who has struggled with a lot of projects made the comment the other day when they handed these projects in that this was the best project we had done so far!  I was very pleased and proud of this statement, first because who it came from and second because this was a really challenging project and my kids stepped it up!  What a proud moment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment