Thursday, November 1, 2012

Perspective and 5th Grade!

I've never done anything with perspective younger than my 7th and 8th grade students, but I decided after seeing my HS students struggle with it more than I expected to give it a try.  My 5th graders stepped up and rocked it!  I showed them how I would do my last name using 1 point perspective and they loved how it looked!  I explained how it worked and that it would probably be a challenging project but I believed they could do it...and they did!

My students first chose either their first or last name, most of the decisions came easily based on the number of letters.  We focused on creating block or bubble letters and spreading them across the page.  This step alone in itself was a challenge for many, but we kept working at it until we got it.  Then we added the point and using a ruler connected each letter to the dot in the appropriate areas.  My students had an understanding that I would be coming around to check everyone's work, so they needed to be patient.  While they were waiting for me to come around and answer questions and check their work, I encouraged them to ask the people at their table to see if they could figure out their questions together.  After they finished, students added color with colored pencils.

Here are some results...not too shabby for 5th grade! :)






1 comment:

  1. I always did this persoective lesson with my 6th graders and it was a challenge, so I'm impressed your 5th graders pulled it off. I loved teaching perspective, but there are some kids who just will NEVER get it no matter how hard you try to get through to them. I believe it is developmental.

    Anyhow, your kids did wite well! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete