Friday, May 10, 2013

Monogram Letter Designs - Sub Plan

Back in February I took 2 "mental health days" to visit a friend I hadn't seen for a few years.  It was a great and fun trip! However, before I left I had to make sub plans.  I dread sub plans.

I came up with this for my high school students, but it could work with younger students as well.  My idea and directions were fairly simple.  Students drew a letter/monogram that had purpose, whether it was their first or last initial or that of a family member or friend.  I printed out and made photocopies of some of the zentangle inspired designs that are detailed and intricate.  I figured since each design had a step by step direction in a visual picture that my students could succeed.  After the monogram letter, they had to incorporate 5 of the various designs I had for them to choose from.  I believe I had between 12-15 of them to choose from.  After they had drawn these designs in, they could add marker or colored pencil.

This lesson worked our perfect for a sub, and lasted well into the next week when I returned which was good because on my trip home I got a bad head cold/sinus infection and was lacking energy throughout the week.  This project was great for the kids to work on because it required little to no direction or help and each student could make a lot of the creative decisions.

Here are some results:







2 comments:

  1. Hi, Amy.........I posted a link to this blog post over on my blog for art sub lessons. I hope that's okay. jan

    http://artsublessons.blogspot.com/2013/05/monogram-letter-designs.html

    ReplyDelete